Eating less sugar is hard, I know. But the more sugar you eat, the more you want and crave it. It’s been proven that sugar is extremely addictive and is one of the hardest habits to break. To make matters worse, it’s everywhere, not only in the usual suspects like sweets, soft drinks and desserts. Savoury foods like sauces and condiments; and low-fat foods are full of hidden sugars.
Here are my 5 top tips for eating less sugar and reducing cravings:
- Increasing your protein intake with nuts, eggs, turkey or a protein shake will help reduce your sugar cravings and help you feel fuller for longer.
- Good quality dark chocolate with at least 80% cocoa will give you the chocolate hit you need without the sugar.
- Snack on frozen berries and grapes instead of lollies or sweets.
- Fresh dates are a great snack too, but stick to 2-5 only.
- Flat white coffee, with organic almond milk and a dollop of organic coconut cream, is a decadent, sugar-free treat.